The formation of the County Union, 1920

Cheshire was rather late in forming a Union of Golf Clubs. Yorkshire’s organisation had been in existence since 1894, Lancashire followed suit in 1910 and Derbyshire in 1913. It is probable that the onset of the First World War postponed any thoughts of forming of a Union in Cheshire, and it would not be until 1920 that the subject attracted any further serious consideration.

What is very clear is that it would be entirely inappropriate, if not impossible, to form a Union of Cheshire clubs without the full backing and support of the Royal Liverpool club. It is evident that the Lancashire Union of Golf Clubs was struggling to gain full support, given the reluctance of the major clubs on the coast to throw their full weight behind the organisation. Royal Lytham, Formby and West Lancs did not join the Lancashire Union until shortly after WW1. In 1921, only seven of their clubs entered teams in the county championship. Yorkshire, however, seem to have enjoyed the total support of all of their clubs and was a thriving organisation with a well-supported calendar of championships and matches.

It is clear that the real driving force behind the formation of the Union was Daniel Mylrea, who had been instrumental in establishing the Sale Golf Club. In October, 1920 he wrote to all clubs in the county asking if they would be willing to support the proposed county Union, and it is clear he received a very positive response.

Consequently, in November, 1920, at a meeting in Manchester’s Midland Hotel, the formation of the Cheshire Union of Golf Clubs was confirmed. There was an initial tally of 36 clubs which committed to join the Union, including Royal Liverpool, Wallasey, Leasowe, Bromborough and all of the clubs in the east of the county. Harold Janion, the renowned secretary of Royal Liverpool was elected as President, with Daniel T.Mylrea (Sale) Hon Secretary and Geoffrey Tweedale (Wilmslow) Hon Treasurer, both being driving forces in the Union's inception. It was agreed that there would be a sliding scale of subscription fees, based on the number of members within a club, subject to a minimum subscription of one guinea.

So the Cheshire Union of Golf Clubs was born. With the full backing of the county's clubs, and in particular that of Royal Liverpool, and against a backdrop of a steady growth in new clubs, the future looked very encouraging.

It is noted in the Stockport club's minutes that their Captain and Secretary who both attended the inaugural meeting, had the club's authority to offer the Stockport course as the venue for the first county championship meeting. Delamere Forest had also cleary indicated an interest in hosting the championship, and it was subsequently agreed that the latter would play host in 1921. Each of the 36 founder clubs donated £2.2.0 for a County Championship trophy.

Harold Janion

 

Daniel T.Mylrea (Sale G.C.), a driving force in the formation of the Cheshire Union and its first Hon Secretary

Image courtesy of Sale G.C.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                 

 

 

 

Researched and written by Jerry Dixon

Image of H.Janion and press cutting courtesy of British Newsaper Archive